February 27, 2011

Step-By-Step - How I Paint a Cooler







Hello friends! I thought I'd spice things up and show y'all some steps I go through when I paint. I freehand everything. I never use stencils, tape, etc. I've read a lot of blogs where people use stencils and tape to help guide them, and if you want to try out something like this for yourself, I think that would be a great start! But after many years of practice and hand-eye training, I just wing it! I do often look at photos of things I paint, but when it comes to Razorback stuff, I have it down and committed to memory! 

I start by sketching out rough outlines. I don't use a pencil, but it might help some people. I then fill in the outlines with the most dominant color I need for the design. I finish by adding detail like highlights, shading, decorative frills, etc. I like to jump around from side to side on coolers so I don't get burnt out on one thing. I usually do all the outlining first, then fill in as I go. This cooler is not a really fancy one, but it is a popular design, so it's a great example to show you! Enjoy!



Coming soon: video tutorial clips where you can watch me paint! 


1 comment:

Unknown said...

I was wondering what type of paint you use on the coolers. I made one for my in-laws and after taking it to the beach one day it started to peel off the lid. I even used a sealant, but that didn't seem to help.